13 Creative Ways to Raise Support
- Formal presentation. Make a presentation at your church, school, business or community group.
- Write. Send a support letter to all of your friends and family explaining your trip and asking for help.
- Eat. Hold a dessert gathering for friends and family where you can share about your upcoming adventure.
- House visits. Create a PowerPoint to share with friends and family. Schedule house visits to various homes and show the presentation.
- Fundraiser. Hold a bake sale, car wash, garage sale, auction or other fundraiser for the group.
- Sponsor flip-flops. Ask people you know to purchase a pair of flip-flops (for $20) for someone in need. Take their picture. Present the flip-flops to a child at your destination with a picture of the person who sent them.
- Knit. Knit or sew garments for the children at your destination. Ask people to "sponsor" them for the kids.
- Collect. Ask people you know to donate all of their soda cans and bottles to your group. Cash in on what you’ve collected—one group raised close to $1,000 this way!
- Creative sacrifices. Ask people to give up coffee for a week and donate the money instead. Or, ask people to give up soda, restaurant meals, fast food or something else creative.
- Dine out. Call your local pizza joint, ice cream store, donut shop or drive-in. Ask them if they will give your group a percentage of their proceeds on a certain night. Invite your friends and family to dine out on that day.
- Advertise your services. What can you do? Is there something you could do on the side? Consider advertising your services — babysitting, catering, creative memories work, quilting, yard work, pet grooming, house sitting, house-sitting — and having all proceeds go to your trip.
- Know a business traveler? Ask your friends or family who travel often to donate their frequent flier miles to your trip.
- Purchase specially designed T-shirts at a low price and sell them to potential supporters for more. T-shirts are designed by Chizuru Johnson at Live Like Christ Clothing. For more information, please call Chizuru at (360) 852-8205 or e-mail her at: email@example.com.
Forward Edge International strongly recommends that all team members have an updated Tetanus booster
. Please consult with your physician or local travel clinic for other recommendations.